Saturday 28 December 2013

5 Reasons I'm Grateful For My Sister

In my opinion, family is the most important thing there is. They're the ones that shape you into who you're going to be, they help structure your morals and your outlook on life. Family are the people that look out for you and support you when you need it most. Sometimes, the people that you consider family aren't blood related, they're just the people that love you unconditionally.
I consider myself very lucky to have the family that I do. Even though we've grown apart over the years we're still fairly close-knit. I'm also fortunate enough to have a fantastic relationship with my parents, we talk often, for hours and about everything that you can think of. My parents are some of the first to find out exciting things about my life and also some of the first that I ask for advice. I regularly talk to most of my first cousins and I'm confident that if I ever need help in anything, my family will be there for me.
But the one person I probably have the strongest relationship with is my older sister. She's been with me my whole life and we've managed to remain close after 20 years! Through all of our ups and downs, these are some of the things I'm most grateful for.

#5. We can laugh together.
It makes a lot of sense that we have a lot of history together, we've been together my whole life. We have so many stories from our history together that we could probably write an entire book of anecdotes. Some of my favourite memories involve my sister. Every now and then, a memory will randomly pop into my head and I'll burst out laughing, those are the best kind. 
We also have a certain number of memories that we will laugh about every single time. We even laugh when remembering a time that we laughed at memories! Remember that time, sister in the car with the look the guy gave us when we were talking about dad and the wall, and Peter and the tomato?
Even better are the memories we share that only people of a similar frame of mind will find funny. Stories that normal people would find morbid or disgusting that we find both fascinating and hilarious. Like that time I used a fox as a puppet, or the heart that was... Well I'll leave the details of those stories for a better time and save you all from deciding you hate us :P
I am so incredibly grateful to have someone that I can count on being silly with me whenever we see each other. I love being able to share a lifetime of memories with someone that is filled with laughter.

#4. We can cry together.
We've had our share of misfortune in our family, divorces, deaths and other assorted sadness. When we were young our parents split up and eventually got divorced. My sister was someone that I could complain to and express my concerns and fears without being in some way biased towards the situation. She was, after all, going through the same thing. I can remember crying together when our first dog was put down, although I vaguely remember not fully understanding at the time. When our second dog got really sick and was facing being put down, I cried to her completely judgement free. When we've had family die we've cried together and comforted each other.
I can still remember one time when I was in high school and I'd just broken up with a boyfriend and, naturally, was feeling rather upset. I sent my sister a text message telling her what had happened and she came into my room to chat. It turned out that she'd also broken up with her boyfriend about a week before so we cried together again! And then we ended up laughing after saying how terrible boys were and that we were clearly just too awesome to handle.
I'm grateful to have someone that I know will always be there for me. No matter who dies, no matter how many relationships start or end, no matter what the issue is, she will always be there. As she's also older than me, there's a good chance she's been there too! My sister is one of a handful of people that I'm comfortable crying in front of and I'm truly thankful for that.

#3. We can criticise each other.
Chances are, someone that's known you your whole life knows you fairly well. Siblings have seen most of both the smart and the dumb things you've done in your life. They've watched you deal with simple problems and more difficult ones. They've seen you at your happiest and your saddest. They've probably also guided you through all of those things. So when you're being a dickhead or on a dangerous path they have the ability to recognise what you're doing and confront you about it. If I ever go to my sister with a problem she'll tell me exactly what she thinks I should do. If that means telling me that what I'm doing is only making things worse then that's what she'll tell me. Sure, that means that we've had our fair share of fights and arguments throughout our time but we've turned out pretty well so it's really all for the best.
I'm grateful to have someone who will confront me on an issue, even if she's half way across the world. I'm also grateful that I can tell her exactly what I think and even if she hates me at the time she'll always get over it sooner or later.

#2. We can trust and support each other.
Every female needs someone to talk to at one time or another. It could just to be feel like someone is there for her. It could be that something has happened and she needs reassuring that she's not going to die. It could be about every day life or it might be something incredibly personal that she can't seek advice from the general public about. My sister is someone that I can tell all my personal problems to without ever fearing being mocked or judged. I can tell her everything from the one thing that annoyed me that particular day to the detailed horrific ways that my body has decided to fail me this week. I can trust her with personal details about my life without worrying that she'll tell anyone.
When I go to my sister with a problem, I can trust the advice that she gives me. If she tells me what she would do if she were in the same place, I know that that's the honest truth. I am truly grateful that she is one of the handful of people that I can go to about anything, no matter what and no matter when.

#1. We love each other unconditionally.
My sister and I have, at times, had a very rocky relationship. But no matter how many times we've hated, hurt, lied to, insulted, left out, teased, mocked or otherwise been generally horrible to each other we will always be sisters and we will always love each other. I'm confident that if we ever go years without talking (Ha! Like that'll ever happen!) when we see each other again we'll start right where we left off. There's not a lot that I wouldn't do to protect my sister. I would happily take all her pains on myself so that she could live a day free of and stresses or pains. I'd even help her set her ex boyfriend on fire if she ever asked :P
I'm confident that I could call my sister any time of night or day and she would be there for me. I know that she will put aside her own problems to help me with mine, even if they seem pathetic in relation to her own. I know that if I ask something of her and it is in her power to help me, she will. I'm grateful that my sister will judge me for all of the things that I've done and especially the things that I tell her but love me anyway. I can only hope that she knows and thinks the same for me. :)
Love you sis, stay awesome <3

No comments:

Post a Comment